Kendal at Ithaca location has rich history
The Ithaca Journal, 31 May 2003, P.15, Cols. 1-4

Extracts:

"The history of the land on which the development [Kendal at Ithaca] was constructed actually has two parts: One concerns the old brick house built at right angles to Triphammer Road; the other is the remaining 106 acres.
  The brick house was built on part of a 600-acre tract awarded to Lancaster Lighfall after the Revolution. Since he elected not to settle on the tract, he sold it to Solomon Levy, and by 1825 the land was owned by Richard Manning. Manning's daughter married Elijah LaBar, and he owned the brick house until his death in 1884. It was built at some time between 1810 and 1829. The clay for the bricks was dug from land near the house (possibly the present Spruce Lane).
...
After Elijah LaBar's death, the property passed through a number of owners until it was acquired by Elmer Seth Savage and his wife, Genevieve, in 1922. They subdivided the land and sold six acres and the house to Mabel Griswold in 1924.
  In 1941 Kenneth and Eleanor Beeson bought the house and sold it to Cornell in 1968. Mr. Beeson was the Director of the U.S. Plant, Soil and Nutrition Laboratory at Cornell.
...
As to the remaining acreage, Savage, a professor in the animal husbandry department at Cornell University, used it to nurture a herd of Guernsey cows and eventually formulated a set of feeding standards for dairy cows which became known as the Savage Feeding Standards.
His father, John, managed the farm and lived in the house which is now 706 Hanshaw Road. Savage died in 1943 and his wife sold the farm to Cornell in 1946. Beeson sold the brick house to Cornell in 1968. After renting it to several staff members, it was sold to private owners in 1983."

Note: The brick house and some of the acreage are now part of Kendal at Ithaca, a continuing care retirement community that opened in 1995.

Source

  Flag