Please sign in or create a HistoryForge account first.
×

Manning-Labar Farmhouse, at Kendal at Ithaca

Details
Name
Manning-Labar Farmhouse, at Kendal at Ithaca
Address
2230 N Triphammer Rd Ithaca (as of 1994)
2214 Triphammer Rd Ithaca (as of 1979)
214 N Triphammer Rd Ithaca (as of 1957)
204 N Triphammer Rd Ithaca (as of 1953)
Year Built
1820 (ca.)
Building Type
Residence
Construction
2 story Brick structure
Media (Photos, Videos, Audio Recordings)

No media have been attached yet!

Add Source/NarrativeSources & Narratives
2214 North Triphammer Road (currently 2230 North Triphammer Road)
From the Cayuga Heights History Project

Extracts:
  "The two-story red brick building now on Kendal at Ithaca property along North Triphammer Road is known as the Manning-Labar Farmhouse. According to former Cayuga Heights Village Historian Carol Sisler, the home was built sometime between 1810 and 1829. It is a candidate for the oldest home in Cayuga Heights."
"The property surrounding the Manning-Labar Farmhouse was from about 1808 the “homestead” of Richard (1777-1827) and Lydia Vaughan (1778-1848) Manning."
"In 1808, Richard and Lydia purchased property from Lydia’s father Daniel Vaughan on Military Lot 89. The 83-acre farm stretched westward from what is now North Triphammer Road to the middle of today’s Kendal at Ithaca property." 
  "In 1920, the farm was sold to Elmer Savage (1884-1943) and Genevieve Savage. Elmer Savage was a Cornell professor of Animal Husbandry who was internationally known for developing feed standards for dairy cows. He operated a dairy farm on the former Manning farm and bred Guernsey cows."

Kendal at Ithaca location has rich history
The Ithaca Journal, 31 May 2003, P.15, Cols. 1-4

Extracts:

"The history of the land on which the development [Kendal at Ithaca] was constructed actually has two parts: One concerns the old brick house built at right angles to Triphammer Road; the other is the remaining 106 acres.
  The brick house was built on part of a 600-acre tract awarded to Lancaster Lighfall after the Revolution. Since he elected not to settle on the tract, he sold it to Solomon Levy, and by 1825 the land was owned by Richard Manning. Manning's daughter married Elijah LaBar, and he owned the brick house until his death in 1884. It was built at some time between 1810 and 1829. The clay for the bricks was dug from land near the house (possibly the present Spruce Lane).
...
After Elijah LaBar's death, the property passed through a number of owners until it was acquired by Elmer Seth Savage and his wife, Genevieve, in 1922. They subdivided the land and sold six acres and the house to Mabel Griswold in 1924.
  In 1941 Kenneth and Eleanor Beeson bought the house and sold it to Cornell in 1968. Mr. Beeson was the Director of the U.S. Plant, Soil and Nutrition Laboratory at Cornell.
...
As to the remaining acreage, Savage, a professor in the animal husbandry department at Cornell University, used it to nurture a herd of Guernsey cows and eventually formulated a set of feeding standards for dairy cows which became known as the Savage Feeding Standards.
His father, John, managed the farm and lived in the house which is now 706 Hanshaw Road. Savage died in 1943 and his wife sold the farm to Cornell in 1946. Beeson sold the brick house to Cornell in 1968. After renting it to several staff members, it was sold to private owners in 1983."

Note: The brick house and some of the acreage are now part of Kendal at Ithaca, a continuing care retirement community that opened in 1995.

May 31, 2003

Resident Household in 1950
NameSexAgeRelationOccupation
Andrew S QuickM53HeadNone
Linda M QuickF50WifeAttendent Nurse
Leon VickersM23RoomerNone
Resident Household in 1950
NameSexAgeRelationOccupation
Kenneth C BeesonM47HeadDirector of Nutrition
Eleanor M BeesonF47WifeNone
Eleanor A BeesonF16DaughterNone
Priscilla BeesonF11DaughterNone
Fred C MunsonM21RoomerDishwasher, Houseworker