History of Bethel Grove School (when it closed in 1959)
The Ithaca Journal, Jun 15 1959 P. 5. Cols.1-5, with photos from 1897, ~1915, and 1959

"Taxes Tell School's History
  BETHEL GROVE - In 1887, the biggest taxpayer in the Bethel Grove School District was the EC&N Railroad, with an assessed valuation of $7,290. The railroad paid $16.03 in school taxes that year.
  Altogether, there was a total of $45,735 in assessments, and a total tax collected of $100.85.
  These figures are among historical details on the district which have been gathered for the homecoming celebration at the school, to be held at 6 p.m. Thursday.
  Occasion for the get-together of as many as possible of the school's former pupils and teachers is the closing of the school at the end of this year by the Ithaca School District, of which it is now a part.

  The district has had a school on the present site for 109 years. Any former pupils, teachers or anyone who has had any connection with the school, who have any old pictures, maps, composition books, are asked to bring them to the re-union.
  Mrs. Percy Watros of 1726 Slaterville Rd., a former clerk of the district, has made a collection of old records and pictures.

  It was in 1847 that the School Board resolved to build a new school on a new site, and the old site was sold for $76.25.
  In 185l a new site was bought for the sum of $75, and the district voted $200 to be raised by taxation to build a new school.
  In 1887, school was convened for 34 weeks, and the total cost was $5.50 per week.
  In 1897, the first Janitor was hired by the district. James Hollister took the job for $3 a year.
  Inflation set in, though, and by 1911 the district's minutes reported that "the janitor work was sold to Aubrey Marion for $35."
  In 1940, there was discussion of putting an addition on the school, but the following year it was decided that because because consolidation was under consideration, no action would be taken on putting on an addition.
  In 1954 there was still no consolidation, so the district voters decided to build the addition. Two years later the voters decided to become part of the Ithaca School District."

Source

  Flag

June 15, 1959

Buildings

1706 Slaterville Rd Dryden