"The [Serv-Us] league's first 'center' was at 221 S Plain St, where a house was rented to focus activities. In 1930 the organization became known as the South Side Community Center, and, in 1932, a little house at 305 S Plain St was bought as permanent home for the growing group. After the adjoining Preston Melton property had been condemned and razed by the city, the Center purchased the site, razed it[s] own building in 1936, and started the present structure on the combined plot."  

Source

"South Side Center Owes Birth To Negro Woman's Club," Ithaca Journal, April 26, 1938, 3.

  Flag