116-120 North Cayuga St. Historic name: Clinton House (NR listed August 12, 1971)

"Three-story, thirteen-bay, Greek Revival brick and stucco building with low hipped roof and full-height, projecting two-story gabled center porch with an Ionic colonnade of six massive columns spanning the center five bays of the facade and supporting a pediment with an inset Palladian window; second- and third-story balconies with balustrades set into the colonnade; upper stories retain square-headed windows with molded window hoods and historic one-over-one sash replacing earlier multi-light sash (c.1901); scrolled brackets with acanthus leaves line the cornice and pediment; parapet composed of balustrade and piers at roofline; raised basement with street access via stairways at comers of building. The central grand entrance has a wide crown entablature supported by Ionic columns; second- and third-story balcony doors have denticulated crown pediments, transoms, sidelights, and fluted Ionic columns; secondary street-level entrances have arched transom windows and hood moldings. Built 1828. 

Architect: Ira Tillotson 

Historical note: Proclaimed “the finest hotel west of the Hudson” when it opened, the Clinton House was a grand, luxury hotel at a time when Ithaca had a population of less than 4,000. Named for DeWitt Clinton, governor of New York, the hotel was the hub of Ithaca’s social and intellectual life. Simeon Dewitt lived and died in its rooms. Frances Perkins breakfasted here every Sunday. Guests have included presidents of the United States, notable westward expansionists, and movie stars from the pre-Hollywood film industry. The Ithaca Gas and Light Company, now part of New York State Electric and Gas Company, signed its articles of incorporation in a room in the Clinton House. The Clinton House was Ithaca’s first professional building, housing medical and law offices from its earliest days. It was remodeled with a mansard roof designed by architect William H. Miller in 1872. Fire in 1901 destroyed the roof and the upper story, and architect Clinton L. Vivian designed the “remodel” to resemble the original appearance of the Clinton House. By the 1960s, the Clinton House was scheduled to be razed, but grassroots efforts saved the building, and it was restored in 1972. A new stair and elevator additions were constructed on the West Seneca Street side of the building."

Source

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for Ithaca Downtown Historic District, December 18, 2004

  Flag