"Between 1847 and 1851, the owners of the Clinton House built this block of shops to serve hotel patrons. Of a simpler Greek Revival design than the hotel, it was purposely set back from the street to avoid competing visually with the Clinton House. Clinton Hall was the name given to a 500-set auditorium on the second floor, where lectures, vaudeville, and early motion pictures were shown. Damaged by a fire in 1975, it was saved from demolition by local developer Joseph Ciaschi in 1985 and restored." 

Source

Historic Ithaca, DeWitt Park Historic District and Downtown Ithaca: An Architectural Walking Tour, 18. http://www.historicithaca.org

  Flag