"The Clinton House (1829) is downtown Ithaca’s most important landmark. Built in partnership by Henry Ackley, Jeremiah Beebe, and Henry Hibbard, the Clinton House was an ambitious project for its time, heralded in 1832 by one regional newspaper, The Casket, as “a hotel of superior order and of the first class… equaled by few and surpassed by none in the State.” The Clinton House, with hits 151 rooms and 96-foot long dining room, was designed in the Greek Revival style, possibly by local architect Ira Tillotson. Six massive columns, whose cores are mammoth oak trees covered by brick and stucco, support a projecting full pediment on a 52-foot portico. After a fire in 1901, the Clinton House was rebuilt in a design by Clinton L. Vivian, using many Colonial Revival details such as the Palladian window in the pediment. When the hotel closed in 1972, it was purchased and renovated by Historic Ithaca and Tompkins County."

Source

Historic Ithaca, DeWitt Park Historic District and Downtown Ithaca: An Architectural Walking Tour, 18. http://www.historicithaca.org

  Flag