"Bailor Road was named for Daniel Bailor, whose farm in 1880 was located on the west end of this road, which went from Seventy-Six Road (now Central Chapel Road) to Buffalo Road. In the 1849 Pathmaster’s Book, Bailor Road was shown as Chestnut Road, but by 1923 it appears as Bailor on the Town of Caroline highway map with no indication of when the name changed. Bailor Road Extension was part of what was known as Line-of-Lots Road, and it crossed Level Green Road and continued easterly up the hill to a spot close to the present day Fire Tower Road. For nearly 100 years it was a well-traveled shortcut from one hill to the other."
Barbara Kone,
"Town of Caroline," in Carol Kammen, ed.
Place Names of Tompkins County, Ithaca, NY: Office of the Tompkins County Historian, 2004.