"Raymond A. Frear, now in business at 128 East Green street, has purchased the McClune block on South Cayuga streets and expects to move about the middle of March. His new business will be known as the Frear Tire Sales Company.
The McClune block was built in 1899 by Fred A. McClune, and the store was first used as a bicycle shop. When the automobile industry began to become popular Mr. McClune went into that business and probably sold the first automobile ever sold in Ithaca in the shop on South Cayuga street.
He continued in business there until 1912, when A.W. Davis rented the shop as a Ford agency. It was later occupied by the National Biscuit Company, and then by the Ithaca Auto Top Company, which has been in the building since last September.
Mr. Frear has been in the automobile tire business on Green street ever since he came to Ithaca about four years ago."

Source

"R.A. Frear Buys McClune Block," Ithaca Journal, February 22, 1919, 5.

  Flag